June, I Hardly Knew Ya

Did you guys know that the Fourth of July is only like 11 days away?  How did that even happen?  Wasn't it just May?  Why does time move so much faster now that I'm older not as young as I once was?

So, I have no idea what we're going to do for the Fourth - mostly because I didn't realize until just now how close it is.  I think I'll make a strawberry/blueberry trifle.  Isn't this one pretty?  But the recipe for this one calls for fat-free sweetened condensed milk, sugar-free white chocolate pudding and sugar-free whipped cream.  Plus it has angel food cake in it, which I don't like.  

So, I'll probably assemble the trifle like it, but use one of Martha's recipes.  Martha Stewart, that is.  She and I are on a first name basis.  Actually, I call her Marth and she calls me Rach.  We're totally besties! 

Back to reality.  Here is the trifle recipe I will use only I'm going to substitute strawberries for the raspberries.  Don't tell Marth, though.  She gets a little testy when people fuss with her recipes.  

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 store-bought pound cake (12 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 cups fresh blueberries (three 1/2-pint containers), rinsed and dried
  • 3 cups fresh raspberries (two 6-ounce containers) 
Directions
  1. Make lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool completely, then brush over both sides of cake slices. Quarter each slice.
  2. With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/3 cup sugar on high speed until lightened. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add heavy cream in a steady stream; continue beating until mixture is light and airy (mixture will be like a very soft whipped cream).
  3. Arrange half the cake pieces in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Scatter half the blueberries and raspberries on top. Repeat layering with remaining cake, cream-cheese mixture, and berries, piling berries in the center.
  4. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
And, then maybe after gorging ourselves on trifle, Eric and I can go find somewhere to watch fireworks and hold hands and giggle like little kids.  

I just know I only have 11 days to figure it out and the way my brain's been working lately I should have started planning in December.  

It seems I'm always behind.  

Be happy,
Rachel

Comments

  1. oh me too.....all behind that is.....now where did I pack that dress with the bustle???
    I love your blog xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts