Interview 5: Rachel with 4EweDesigns



It's interview time once more here at The Curious Crow.  Today's interview is with Rachel from 4EweDesigns.  

So, instead of me sitting here rambling, I'll just get on to the interview.  

Great White Shark

1. Who are you and what do you do?My name is Rachel, and I have recently moved to Melbourne Australia with my husband, from Michigan. So, besides getting used to an entirely new environment, I am an artist. For the first time since graduating university 8 years ago, I can say that I am an artist. It makes me happy. Mid-Michigan is not the easiest place to make a living doing art. Melbourne is excellent. During the day I am a ceramic artist. At night I sit on the couch and sew cute things from recycled wool sweaters, and drink great Australian wine.

2. Why do you do what you do?
Well, I can't do much else really. I tried my hand at many jobs, but they all have to do with people. I prefer to hole myself up the the garage and make things. My dad was a painter and a photographer and an engineer, and really encouraged me to make art. He would bring home huge sheets of blueprint paper, that would cover the kitchen floor. My brother ( who is also an artist) and I would draw and paint together. I usually painted life sized ponies. 

3. How long have you been doing it? (Your craft, not doing IT)Well, as long as I can remember I have been making things. In 4th grade I made ants from my pencil erasers, and staples. I sold them for a quarter to my classmates. It was pretty awesome,...except when I needed an eraser to erase something. I had not even one pencil with an eraser left. The teacher eventually shut me down.
The sweater animals and such I have been doing for 4 or 5 years now. I was inspired to sell them on Etsy after making a bunch for the children at church to play with during services. Everyone loved them. I like to see peoples faces light up when they see a goofy octopus or pig.


4. What’s your typical Saturday night?
That would be sewing, sewing, and more sewing. Unless I am working on a Sunday school lesson for the group of 20 or so Sudanese refugee children that attend the church I go to. They are great. I try and help them practice their reading skills. I have found that bribery helps. Then I release them to their parents on a sugar high. Oh, and it is usually Indian food night. Love Indian food.

5. If you could travel to any other country, all expenses paid, where would you go?
That would have been Australia, but now I live here! Otherwise, I would go to Japan,...again. I have been there once and loved it. I went to "Hello Kitty Land" and puked rainbows. Either that or Germany for Oktoberfest.

6. How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
I certainly don't have the patience to ever find that out. I prefer to crack my teeth, and I hate numbers...so counting is right out. 

7. Shoes, socks or bare feet? 

Rugged Rhino
Ah,...that is the question. I will tell you right now I HATE socks. Hate them. My husband loves them. It is a major source of argument in our marriage. I go for bare feet, and flip flops or "thongs" as they call them here in Australia. That leads to some great misunderstandings. And shoes? I love them. I have quite the collection. I am pretty short, so I love high heels.



So...now you know a little more about Rachel and you've seen some of the adorable things she makes. Now all you have to do is head over to her shop and buy something!

Be happy,
Rachel

Comments

Popular Posts