Interview 14: Ms. March Hare from MsMarchHare

Time for another interview.  Today's interview is with Ms. March Hare who runs the Etsy shop, MsMarchHare.  Ms. March makes jewelry of the coolest kind, and it's a varied selection, too.  Which means that there's something for everyone!  

I'll let Ms. March tell you more about herself, what she does and animal testicles. 

My Soldier Boy Necklace
Who are you and what do you do?

Well...I'm a middle aged, married (24 yrs) woman with 2 grown sons. Like most of us in this economy I'm living on a wing and a prayer, and looking for anything to boost my income short of prostitution. I love all kinds of art, and have painted, drawn and sculpted for most of my life. I started making Jewelry when my sons were young because it was easy to pick up and put down fast when a nap-time ended or a knee got scraped. Jewelry making is probably closer to drug abuse as any craft project. The packets are small, the tiny stash gets bigger and bigger, new things need to be tried (soon I was weaving, and wire-wrapping then I was mainlining resin). Eventually you have to start making and selling, and the back room becomes a lab of some sort...or drying 
room, or hydroponics garden, filled with beads, findings, wire, and stock 
being packaged for sale. NOT THAT I REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT OTHER STUFF. Just lots of MSNBC specials. 

Currently I am into the resin, doing lots of experiments with that. That and the Gay Pride jewelry I started out making for my son's best friend until he suggested I sell it.


Gay Comics Necklace
Why do you do what you do?
I just like making things I would like to wear myself. When I was younger no one made the things I would have liked so I do it myself now. I also like giving my friends and family these things and it makes me feel good to see them enjoy something I made just to suit them and their personalities. If I can make a few bucks now out of it, so much better. I can't afford fair booths, and craft shows, so Etsy seemed like a good fit. Right now my biggest hope is to pay a bill or two until a full-time job comes along.


Birds of a Feather Necklace
How long have you been doing it? (Your craft/trade, not doing IT)

Crafting? Since I could open a can of Play-doh. I remember sitting on the basement stairs, using an upper step as my table and dangling my legs through the step I was seated on making elephants and snakes Play-doh.

As for "IT"...Last Sunday. Weather's been too hot for a lot of "IT".


Beaded Rainbow Ring

If you could travel to any other country, all expenses paid, where would you go?

I served in the Air Force in the 80's and got to travel quite a lot then. England, Germany, France, etc. Which was cool. But I never got to go where I really wanted the most.

Egypt. During the recent people's protests in Egypt I scoured the news every night, not just in the hopes no one else would be hurt, but hoping the precious history of Egypt would be spared. When I saw the breakage of some of the Tut artifacts I sobbed like a baby for days. I love Egyptian history, and hope to travel there some day.


Heart's Blood Necklace
What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
When people write "loose" when they mean "lose". That and cell phones/texting in movie theaters and while driving. I'm a simple person when it comes to pet peeves. 



Corset Necklace
What food will you absolutely not put in your mouth? 
Anything that was once the testicle of any animal. Seriously. I'm not interested in dining on some critter's man-sack.

Do you consider yourself a geek or nerd? If so, what makes you geeky or nerdy?

Geek....I'm too technically underprivileged to be a nerd, though I'd like to be My eldest son is both a geek and a nerd. I do geek out over Doctor Who, Torchwood, Star Trek, Marvel Comics, My Little Ponies, Epic Meal Time, Regretsy, and all things B Move. I love Renn Fairs, Star Trek Conventions, Rockey Horror viewings, Drag Queen competitions, and will some day attend Comic Con!

Muchas gracias, Ms. March Hare for the wonderful (and quite funny) interview.  Now is the part where I tell you to get over to MsMarchHare and buy some jewelry.  Christmas isn't that far away, you know. Go shop, shop, shop!

Be Happy,
Rachel

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me this month. I really enjoyed the questions. To let you all know, any sales this month and next will be paying my way to the Ohio Renn Fest which I haven't been to in 3 years. So YEAH...come over and buy! Love ya all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW....before anyone asks, the lovely model is not me....sadly...it is my wonderful niece Sue. She is a doll and posed with some of my jewelry at a local museum here in Hamilton Ohio called Pyramid Hill (if you want to check them out)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts