Interview 15: M. Patrick with Tencrowns Studio

Guess what time it is?  It's interview time! This week's interview is with M. Patrick from Tencrowns Studio.  I'm eating a cold, leftover pork chop as I'm writing this, so don't mind the occasional chunk of breading that may fall.  Do any of you like cold pork chops?  I love them.  

I'm just going to shut up now and get on with the interview.  

Mystery Woman Pendant
Who are you and what do you do?

I am a somewhat neurotic recluse that graduated from art school a few years ago and haven't done much with myself since, except working retail jobs to pay the bills. I do a little bit of whatever catches my interest, but I would primarily consider myself an illustrator, though a lot of my work has leaned towards printmaking lately, which sort of goes hand in hand with my letterboxing/stamping obsession. The DREAM is to one day get my graphic novel drawn and published, but it turns out that writing and drawing a whole book by yourself is a lot of work, so in the meantime I'm learning more about comics publishing by being a proofreader, letterer, and occasional color correctionist for The Farlight Saga, which is written by my friend Jared. He's working on a lot of technical stuff to get the new revision up right now, so there isn't much to see on the new website yet. It is available for purchase here though: comics.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=87923 , and will be updated on its old home at DrunkDuck, though all that's there now are the cover and some chapter heading: www.drunkduck.com/Ethos/5347289/

Pink Butterfly Card

Why do you do what you do?

I do what I do because honestly, I don't know what else to do with myself. I feel like I literally have to make things otherwise I would go crazy. Art's always sort of been my catharsis because I have a very limited ability to express my feelings to others. I used to bottle up emotions to a very unhealthy point, but I've learned to deal. I also just have a lot of nervous energy and like to have multiple things to do at once. While this leads to a lot of interesting projects, it unfortunately makes it difficult to finish many of them.

How long have you been doing it? (Your craft/trade, not doing IT)
Radiohead ACEO

I've been painting and drawing since I was very small--probably about five years old or so. I used to get so frustrated watching Bob Ross and trying to follow along with a little box of watercolors and crayons. I started entering competitions, selling pieces and developing a portfolio in high school, so probably starting in 2000 or so, and attended the Columbus College of Art & Design from 2002-2006.

Do you sing in the shower?

All the time. Usually old show tunes or Type O Negative.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Either some kind of scientist or a novelist/artist. I was very big into paleontology and teratology. I also had a pretty kick-ass rock collection.


Magpie Print
What's the best costume you've ever worn?

The best costume I ever wore is kind of a hard question. I do have this really awesome witch's robe and a matching shawl that my grandmother made for me when I was a kid. I wore it probably from ages 7-14, whenever I felt like it. I could probably still fit into it, though it might be kind of short. Damn, I need to find that shawl. Alternatively worst costume: the year my mom made me dress up as a clown for Halloween because she didn't feel it was appropriate for a little girl to go as something scary. My sister helped me ditch it later and dressed me up as a vampire, as I recall.


The Melonheads ACEO Print
Now wasn't that an awesome interview?  You know what else is awesome?  Everything in Tencrown Studios.  So you should get your collective derrieres over there and buy some cool stuff.  

Be Happy,
Rachel

Comments

Popular Posts