Rice Pudding

I've been a busy girl lately.  I'll be back soon to regale you with tales of getting lost, why you shouldn't hike in flip flops, the art of falling on your behind, peeing in an outhouse, upcoming art shows and new adventures.

Until then, here's my favorite recipe for rice pudding.  I usually make shrimp fried rice a few times a month and every time I make it, I cook enough rice for rice pudding.  I only use jasmine rice.  I'm not generally crazy about rice, but jasmine rice is divine. It's the Leonard Cohen of rice...smooth, classy and delicious.  

Creamy Rice Pudding

1 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup golden raisins (I would never ever sully my rice pudding with the addition of raisins, but to each his own)
1 tablespoon butter (please use real butter) 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (please use real vanilla)

Combine rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thick and creamy, 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins should you actually want the nasty little things in your pudding.  Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.  Serve warm. 

This is super easy and super tasty.  It's actually much better warmed the next day.  If you want a richer pudding you can substitute a portion of the milk for half and half or cream.  You can also sprinkle the top with cinnamon or nutmeg if you have to be all fancy about your rice pudding.  You can even sprinkle the top with garlic, but I don't think it's going to taste very good.  

So, there you have it.  The best darn rice pudding I've ever had.  

Be happy, 
Rachel

Comments

Popular Posts